Answers connects professionals in need of advice with carefully selected mentors who can offer relevant, timely guidance. The mentorship is situational; it’s focused on a protégé’s specific challenge at that moment.
The process is simple:
- You ask a work-related question
- Our system identifies mentors who are well-suited to answer your question
- We solicit input from your team of mentors and present it back to you.
Eventually the service will be open to everyone at no cost (at first we’re limiting the number of people who can participate as we fine-tune our systems).
Here are a few common questions we’ve heard about Everwise Answers in our early testing:
Is my participation confidential?
Yes. We will not use your real name or contact information in anyway other than to communicate with you. In fact, your mentors won’t know your name (unless you’d like us to share it with them after you see their advice).
Are my questions private?
Your questions will be forwarded to the mentors that we identify and may be posted publicly.
We ask that you write your questions so that they provide lots of context but without any personally identifying information. Just think: if your story was featured on one of those television shows where “names have been changed to protect the innocent,” how would it be written?
Why would you post my question?
Your mom was right – you are truly unique. But the challenges you’re facing in the workplace and with your career are probably a lot more common than you think. For example, why would newspapers include career advice columns if many of us didn’t struggle with similar issues?
Over time we’ll publish many of the questions we receive (and answers you receive) so that others can benefit from the collective wisdom of our the Everwise mentors.
If you absolutely insist that your question not be publicized, please let us know and we’ll work to accommodate you.
How long does the process take?
Typically, we’d expect to have answers for you from mentors within 2 – 4 days but the timing can vary depending on weekends, holiday schedules, etc. Bear in mind that this isn’t “quick hit” advice; we expect that our mentors will want to think about your situation and give you thoughtful feedback.
How many mentors will answer my question?
In many cases, we’ll seek to have 2 – 3 mentors weigh in on a given topic, like a miniature version of Harvard Business Review’s case studies (see this example), where 2 – 3 experts weigh in on the question posed in the fictitious request.
Why is Everwise doing this – for free?
Everwise Answers can benefit lots of folks:
- You, the protégé, will receive pertinent responses to questions from relevant, experienced experts.
- Everwise mentors have an opportunity to share their wisdom and learn from the process. They’ll also build their reputations for having answered hard questions well.
- The broader Everwise community will benefit from the ideas and knowledge contained in the responses. Also, they’ll know that they’re not the only ones struggling with these sorts of challenges.
- Everwise will benefit by demonstrating value to the three stakeholder groups we serve (those mentioned above).
Also, we’re still testing the service and may have a few hiccups here or there. We appreciate any and all feedback you’ve got as Everwise Answers evolves!
Ready to try it out?